header

header

10.16.2008

Bird's Nest Home Decor


I love to collect fallen bird's nests. I am fascinated by the intricate things a small bird can accomplish with two feet and a beak. Usually, I fill the outside windowsills of my house with the nests, tucking them into the corners here and there. As I find feathers or shells I add them to the nests, it's an ever-evolving collection.
I was thumbing through an issue of Good Housekeeping last month and noticed a bird's nest display on someones kitchen counter and knew this was the solution to my display dilemma, a way for me to bring the outside in. I tried to duplicate the idea here.
Gather your supplies:

An apothecary jar
Bird's nests (please don't remove these from trees, I only take those that have blown down in the wind)
Feathers, broken shells
Twisty branches in the shape of a "Y" to support the nests.

Place the largest nest in the bottom of the jar and arrange a few unusual feathers or your shells inside

Next, place several branches above and around the nest and arrange them to cradle a smaller nest

Rest your smaller nest in the crook of the branch

It looks like a tiny tree under glass. You can add to it as you find treasures, but avoid cluttering it up. The simplicity of the branches and nests are beautiful alone.

7 comments:

  1. Alrighty then........another thing of beauty that I can treasure!!! Thanks for the inspiration,Miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Sweet...I'm still enjoying my terrarium. Was thinking about using some of my 40% coupons to purchase some terrariums to put together for christmas gifts...I'm just not sure that anyone would appreciate/enjoy them as much as I do. I had better decide before the frost decides for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative work!! Best as home decor!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad I found your blog!

    Karol :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this. great blog by the way! We have two nests on our front and back porch that I would just love to get...but alas they have the sweetest little birds in them! I love it.
    Have a blessed day!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely project! I left all my bird's nests in California... but I'll keep my eye out for abandoned nests here in PA.

    Gorgeous & simple, and a reminder of the beauty of nature.

    love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently found 3 empty birds nests and this is a great idea. I am posting your link on my blog later today on my post showing my found nests.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work