header

header

1.27.2014

Doughnut Muffins!


I found this recipe on SomewhatSimple blog and was excited to try it.  I decided that this weekend during our long ski weekend with family was the perfect time to break out the new recipe.

Doughnut Muffins
* 1/3 cup shortening
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 medium egg (I used large and it worked fine)
* 1-1/2 cups flour
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/2 tsp butter flavor extract
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cream the shortening and sugar.

Add egg and whisk until smooth.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, then in a separate bowl, combine milk, butter extract and vanilla extract.  *(can I just say that butter flavored extract was a revelation to me?? My sister-in-law and I agreed it should be added to all baked goods!)

Alternatively, add dry then wet ingredients to creamed shortening. (dry, wet, dry, wet)

Mix until smooth.

Drop the mixture into  oiled muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake the muffins at 375 for 12-15minutes, don't over bake! The tops should still be pale and the edges just starting to turn golden.

Remove from pan and cool on rack.

I iced them with a basic glaze (1 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 2 tbsp. milk) to ice the muffins.  Some I left as simple glazed, others I dipped into real chocolate sprinkles I ordered from King Arthur Flour (these sprinkles are UNREAL!), or nonpariels.



This recipe was a winner and was perfect for my continental breakfast menu for our ski weekend,

Easy Ski Weekend Breakfast Menu:

Doughnut Muffins
Sliced Strawberries
Hard Boiled Eggs
Orange Juice

**a bite of muffin + strawberry tasted like strawberry shortcake! I'm going to remember this recipe for shortcakes this summer.

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... I have these pinned too! Definitely need to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of butter flavor extract... These sound delicious and I'm pinning so i can try!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work